Conversationalist

Trusted Commentator

• 

11 Messages

• 

4 Points

Fri, Apr 9, 2021 7:58 AM

Smart TV HDD

Hi, I'm currently still using the older Starhub TV boxes that utilizes external WD HDD to record programs. Has there been any improvement to the situation where I would like to expand my external HDDs usage as 1TB simply isn't enough for the recorded programmes on the external HDD?

As I previously understand, each Starhub TV Box can only accept 1 external HDD. And I am not able to plug an older one to re-watch the programmes on the older HDD if I decide to upgrade to a newer larger HDD.

Also, is there any size limit of the external HDD that can be accepted by the box?

Thanks.

Responses

Carla_P

• 

4.6K Messages

• 

2.4K Points

2 m ago

Hi @lyk13, the approved external Digital Video Storage are the Western Digital My Passport (01TB) and Western Digital My Passport (02TB) which can be bought at StarHub shops. More importantly, Western Digital has recently released a new model of My Passport and it is not compatible with StarHub set-top box. It is sold in IT retail stores only. We encourage customers to only purchase compatible hard disks at StarHub shops.

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!
lyk13

Trusted Commentator

• 

11 Messages

• 

4 Points

Hi Carla, thanks for the reply. But this still does not answer whether the set-top box can use more than 1 HDDs at a time? Additionally, what is the model number that is accepted for use? Thanks.

Carla_P

• 

4.6K Messages

• 

2.4K Points

At any point in time, only one Digital Video Storage Device can be paired to the Fibre TV Set-Top Box. In the event where two Digital Video Storage Devices are connected, you will be prompted to remove both the Digital Video Storage Devices and only connect one of the Digital Video Storage Device to your set-top box. Click here to find out the compatible HDD.

~ Carla

Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
lyk13

Trusted Commentator

• 

11 Messages

• 

4 Points

Thanks Carla. Understood at any one point of time, one hdd can only be connected to the box. But how about this scenario?

Having an existing 1tb HDD with recorded shows already in it, can I buy a 2tb HDD, plug in and continue using, and at a later point of time, if I want to watch a show recorded in the 1tb HDD, switch back to the 1tb HDD?

Basically I do not want to format the hdd everytime I switch HDDs. Thanks!

Carla_P

• 

4.6K Messages

• 

2.4K Points

Yes, that would be possible. Do note that if the other HDD has stored computer data then once you connect the Digital Video Storage Device to the set-top box and it will prompt you to set up Smart TV™. Note that your existing data will be erased once it is formatted and paired to the Fibre TV Set-Top Box for recording.

~ Carla

lyk13

Trusted Commentator

• 

11 Messages

• 

4 Points

Ah that's awesome. So long as

1. HDD is 100% Smart-TV paired for use (STB formatted, no computer data)
2. One HDD at a time plugged into the STB

3. Paired HDD cannot be used on another STB, will be formatted on prompt on plug in

4. Paired HDDs with STB can be inter-switchable by rule 2.

Thanks for the clarification Carla!

(edited)

Get Started

Get Started