Skip to main content

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Apr 11, 2017 9:00 PM

Problem controlling my Set Top Box via universal remote controller

Dear all,

I have a question to ask pertaining to my project to transform my house into a smart home. I have this Smart home all in one universal controller: Broadlink RM Pro. My universal controller is compatible with IR & RF capabilities with dual IR band (meaning it reads and transmits 33-43 KHz & 44-60 KHz) , which I was able to learn and control all of my remotes (eg my LG TV, DVD player, fans, radio, standing Light) in my living room, and get all of them to work, except my Starhub Set Top Box. FYI this entire post was only about attempting to learn the On/Off function of the box.

Upon a few researches & experiments, I learnt that my Set Top Box's remote control: CA276 emits regular IR frequency, and my universal controller had been able to learn and replicate the IR code. However, after attempting to turn on the Set Top Box via my universal controller, it still doesn't work no matter what. I thought that the signal could be a combination of codes and I trield to save the codes while long pressing the on/off button of the CA276.

I suspected the IR line of sight could be blocked or too far away, so I moved my universal controller directly in front of the Set Top Box. Still doesn't work. (Attempted to control my other devices and they still work perfectly)

I thought the Set Top Box malfunctioned as it coudn't read any remotes anymore so I restarted the box, tried to use the CA276 to turn on. It still worked perfectly. 

If anyone knows what am I missing here please help to educate me. I doubt that the IR frequency is encrypted cause it's just an ordinary remote and my universal remote controller had been able to receive and emit the signal, but the Set Top Box just couldn't react.

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

P.S: I am using a Starhub set top box DCI82SHB, CA276 remote.

Responses

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I'm having the exact same issue. My Broadlink RM Pro can control every other IR device no problem, except for the set-top box. IT fires the commands learned from the remote and nothing happens. What gives?

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hi. Did you managed to solve this problem? I'm having exactly the same issue. Thanks. 

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hi there. Nah nobody was able to assist me in it so I decided not to
experiment anymore

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for replying.

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I'm having the same problem but I suspect the problem could be on Broadlink end.

I have both Logitech Harmony Hub and Broadlink RM Pro at home. Harmony Hub is ok at recognising the StarHub STB Remote Controller IR codes. However, I like the RM Bridge app that goes with Broadlink RM Pro as Harmony can be buggy at times and I can't get it to go to my favourite channels. I thought I could get that to work using Broadlink but I found out that you guys have the same issue.

Have written to Broadlink on this and waiting for a reply.

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

One more thing. My remote was putting out way stronger IR light than the RM mini3. I verified this by using my phones camera from 20 feet away recording while I pressed a button on the remote and then again activating the broadlink RM MINI3.

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

If you learn the rm mini3 then hold it 1 inch from the front of your set top box it will probably work. I just learned this the hard way. I buying one of these IR extender as they are available for the Cisco explorer https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/at_home/Cable_Accessories/78-4014665-01_D.pdf

You might be able to move the RM mini3 closer or remove some of the light filter.

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I believe starhub set-top boxes uses duplicate IR codes, meaning it has to receive 2 sets of the same codes to respond. As far as I know, only the Logitech Harmony series of Universal Remotes has this functionality to send two duplicate sets of codes, most other universal remotes will not work or only work intermittently.

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

That’s interesting. Would you know why Starhub would do this?

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Did it work with IR extender?

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Unfortunately no, as I do not have one to try it out.

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Yes the extender works but only if I tape it upside down to my RM mini. My set top box is for charter/spectrum

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

If you r using e-control app u could try to download it. Instead of using user defined, click on the + on top right hand corner then the search symbol. My set top box is CISCO 4586DVB. Somebody managed to learned the control. Not the best but at least something to work with. I've only managed to learned the power button once. 

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I've just successfully learned all the basic functions. It works. But very tricky. It's all about how you point ur remote to ur Broadlink RM Pro. I did it at night with low lights.

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I've just successfully learned all the basic functions. It works. But very tricky. It's all about how you point ur remote to ur Broadlink RM Pro. I did it at night with low lights.

Get Started

Get Started