Skip to main content
Buzzed

Honored Contributor

• 

37 Messages

Sat, Jul 28, 2018 12:00 PM

Image quality lacking compared to cable

I just moved onto the fibre tv service from cable. The image quality has taken a drastic dip. Even Netflix looks crappy and I can compare it directly with my Apple TV, a world of difference.

I suspect the bitrate has been seriously hammered down. Heck, it’s obvious. Can anything be done? Cable actually looked so much better. And before you ask, yes I have restarted the box, checked the cables, restart the tv, started a forest fire, sacrificed a chicken, ate the chicken, brewed my own beer... yet the image still looks like the bitrate is seriously gimped. 

Responses

Priya_R

Alumni (Retired)

• 

1.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hi Buzzed

This shouldn't be the way. Can I check if you're still experiencing this even after restarting your set top box

Buzzed

Honored Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

First thing I did. 

Priya_R

Alumni (Retired)

• 

1.3K Messages

2 years ago

Can you provide me with your full name, NRIC, contact number and email address via Private Message and we'll keep in touch?

Unilator

Trusted Contributor

• 

22 Messages

2 years ago

Please share with others what the root cause of the problem was. I have been inundated with calls from Starhub to switch from cable to fibre tv and I was about to make the switch. This scared me off.

Buzzed

Honored Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

Just tried sending you a PM and got an error stating your PM is not enabled. 

Buzzed

Honored Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

I will. If they resolve the issue that is. If image quality is a concern for you, I would hold off on switching for now.
Unilator

Trusted Contributor

• 

22 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks @Buzzed, appreciate that. Yes, I'll hold off switching to fibre tv.

PS: I checked and PM is enabled in settings. I don't know how else it is turned off. Thanks for trying 

Buzzed

Honored Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

Priya_R, for some reason I am unable to send you a PM, it is saying your PM is turned off. Please send me a PM instead and I will follow up.
lonewolfsg

Respected Advocate

• 

192 Messages

2 years ago

The link to send her a PM is given in her reply 'via Private Message'. Not very obvious though so I dun know why she keeps doing it when everyone keeps missing it.

Easier to just give the link like this >> https://community.starhub.com/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/242

Buzzed

Honored Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

@lonewolfsg Thanks for pointing that out, as you gussed, I completely missed it. Just like how she has been missing following up to this thread. Par for course with starhub’s customer support unfortunately.

Trusted Commentator

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I just had my cable tv converted to fibre yesterday and instantly noticed a degradation of image quality. This is disappointing and very frustrating. Called the technical people they said there is nothing they could do. Would like to ask if anyone here have this issue resolved? Thank you.

Buzzed

Honored Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

Nobody has gotten this resolved as far as I can tell and starhub is acting like the problem doesn’t exists. To them, as long as it’s not some heavy pixelation, they seem to take it as normal. Which I suppose it is. As long as it’s technically 1080, it’s considered “HD”. Never mind the crap bitrate, huge subtitles, moire, stuttering etc. They’re blind to these issues unless it’s ridiculously severe. And even then...

Trusted Commentator

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Getting very frustrating and not used to the poorer resolution each time when I turned on the TV. Just feeling short changed by starhub. Now whenever I watch National Geographic channels i don't get to see the details that I used to with the cable. This is terrible.

Amy_Law

Alumni (Retired)

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hi Apyock

Thank you for your patience in this period of high volumes. How's things now after a reboot of your equipment? 

If the issues recur, please contact our Technical Helpdesk at 1633 or write in via our > Online Feedback Form < where our colleagues will provide you with dedicated assistance.

- Amy
Buzzed

Honored Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

And notice how they aren’t responding? If they do, it’ll probably be a “send a PM” where they’ll ask you to send, of all things, a picture (with your camera.

Starhub does an excellent “ostrich head in sand” when they don’t want to deal with an issue, this being a prime example. 

As an aside, I once had a tele conversation with starhub about how some certain channels had stretch a 4:3 image to 16:9. The dude had no clue what I was talking about. He was allegedly a “technical engineer”. All hope died right there. 

Get Started

Get Started