S

2 Messages

• 

2 Points

Wed, Oct 28, 2020 8:00 AM

Existing Router cannot work with the new TV Box for local tv channels

I was about to recontract but was informed that I would not be able to get the local tv channels if I do not change my existing router. This is a problem as my current router set-up works fine. What is the reason for this? Thanks.   

Carla_P

• 

5.4K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

1 y ago

Hi @StarchaserSH, warmest welcome to GreenR Community. Yes, free-to-air channels are only available via the StarHub TV+ Box with a StarHub Broadband plan and a compatible router which is the Nokia Beacon 1. Don't worry, we are working to expand the list of compatible routers progressively over time.

2 Messages

• 

2 Points

Please do extend the compatibility to other routers that are common in the market swiftly. For many existing customers who have other brand/model of routers that are comparable or superior in performance to the Nokia one,  this inconvenience is not acceptable. Cannot see how it could be offered as a viable solution in the first place. I believe that there might be quite a number of customers who have been tripped up by this. 

Would appreciate it if you could share roughly when other routers be compatible please? Thanks. 

Carla_P

• 

5.4K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Unfortunately, we don't have any information yet of the other compatible routers. Please stay tuned for updated on our website and official social media pages. Thanks!

~ Carla

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.
Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

1 Message

• 

1 Point

1 y ago

This is completely ridiculous. I have found myself a workaround but your sheer incompetence borders on the reprehensible.

Carla_P

• 

5.4K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

We are genuinely sorry that we have not met your service expectations, @Jaias92. If you don't mind, may you please share with us the workaround you did to access free-to-air channels without using our compatible router Smart WiFi (Nokia Beacon 1)? 

~ Carla

Some of my posts, opinions and views here do not reflect my position and StarHub's opinions. 
For account related matter, please seek help from our Customer Service team via Facebook Messenger.

4 Messages

• 

4 Points

@Jaias92 can share your workaround?

1 Message

• 

1 Point

5 m ago

Starhub is the one who offered the Google Nest bundle previously and now these devices are deemed "useless" if we want to re-contract and have free-to-air channels.

Moreover, now we have only have one Nokia brand to choose from. When we change to Nokia and we may have to reconfigure other devices that had already connected to the existing network. 

Shouldn't your re-contract be more attractive to loyal customers in terms of convenience?

Carla_P

• 

5.4K Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @user_9bcf8a, apologies if you feel that way. Currently, the Nokia Beacon 1, Linksys router model: EA7500v2 or EA8100 are the compatible routers to access free-to-air channels. Don't worry though as we are working to expand the list of compatible routers progressively over time. 

~ Carla

9 Messages

• 

9 Points

4 m ago

Actually I also am in a fix. When I renewed my contract I was told that I can use my existing Linksys router (EA8100) but I have to use a LAN cable to connect to the TV box to watch free to air channel. 

Since installation on 31 May 2021, I have been having problem in loading - there is a loud crackling sound as the channel loads and it takes a good 5-10 secs to load (the crackling sound is very irritating and uncomfortable).

So far two technicians came, I must say the last technician who came y'day (16 Jun), did a thorough job and we found that when he used the Nokia Beacon router, the crackling sound stops and the channel loads immediately.

Now Starhub is telling me to buy the Nokia router for $120.

I find this unfair. When I signed the contract I was not told about this (possible) extra cost.....sigh...

189 Messages

• 

187 Points

@user_68fcc7 Did they factory reset your linksys router?

9 Messages

• 

9 Points

Yes, the technician tried factory resetting, update firmware

189 Messages

• 

187 Points

@user_68fcc7 Did you experienced a sudden electricity trip before while you still had the router?

9 Messages

• 

9 Points

No electricity trip anytime around or after the installation of the Starhub box

189 Messages

• 

187 Points

@user_68fcc7 Ok, but you do have a stable internet connection and only connecting all of your other devices to the router using wireless only, right?

9 Messages

• 

9 Points

4 m ago

No joy, contacted Linksys help desk and they helped me update my firmware and factory reset - it did not help the situation. Am at a lost at what to do

189 Messages

• 

187 Points

@user_68fcc7 That sucks, I think your router hardware is likely faulty in one part of the area, did you asked them about the warranty on it, and if they are able to replace it? The warranty is 3 years

Get Started

Get Started