JayK

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

Thu, Sep 20, 2018 11:00 PM

eSIM Support for iPhone XS & Apple Watch Series 3 / 4

Starhub Community Managers:

When??

Lest you reply with a vague 'still working with Apple' - the same reply you have been using for almost a year since the launch of Apple Watch Series 3, here's my chat transcript with Apple Support which clearly states the hold-up is on Starhub's end:-

Here's the transcript of your chat with Apple Store:

Friday, Sep 21, 2018 02:32 PM

Duration: 10 minutes 55 seconds

Kenny: 

Good day! This is Kenny and it will be my pleasure attending to you here today.

Kenny: 

Thank you for taking the time to chat in with me here today. Smiley Happy

[ ... ]

Jay: 

Actually yes, re. eSIM in the new iPhones, would you still be able to help?

Kenny: 

That depends on your query but I can try!

Jay: 

Ok, so I've ordered the iPhone XS Max and am with the local telco Starhub

Jay: 

They've been saying they are 'working with Apple to implement eSIM' for almost a year now

Kenny: 

Yup that is right.

Jay: 

I'll like to know what the hold-up is

Kenny: 

That will be on the end of Starhub.

Kenny: 

I am afraid this is something only Starhub can address for you.

Kenny: 

if you noticed, Singtel has not have such an issue and have been readily our partner in providing these options.

Jay: 

Okay, that is actually all I needed to know - that the hold-up lies with them, so I can direct my complaints correctly

Jay: 

I did notice indeed, thanks

Kenny: 

Yup. But I am sure it goes way deeper than that.

Kenny: 

It ties in lots of aspect. Be it infrastructure, business needs, demand etc.

Kenny: 

But yeah. It is something Starhub has to be willing to involve itself in.

Jay: 

I'd guess there are system changes and investments, change mgmt needed

Jay: 

yes

Jay: 

but it feels they have been dragging their feet for way too long, since Apple Watch Series 3

Jay: 

Okay, thanks for the info!

Kenny: 

Always a pleasure!

Kenny: 

Anything else I can share with you here today?

Jay: 

That'd be all, thanks - u have a nice day

Kenny: 

Grab an umbrella if you are aheading out!

Kenny: 

I hope you get to enjoy your devices real soon!

Jay: 

Yes, haha, thanks!

Kenny: 

Wishing you a pleasant day ahead. Smiley Happy

Kenny: 

Stay dry! It sure was a pleasure connecting with you here today. Always feel free to chat back with us. This is Kenny signing off now. See you!

So Starhub, are you done dragging your feet on eSIM implementation?

Responses

JayK

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

@Amy_Law

For your attention and response.

Valued Commentator

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

@Priya_R i'd like to know too.

May I suggest you email your business development or whichever department it is in charge for an actual implementation timeline and answer than giving you standard "Please hang in there and stay tuned to our announcements". It is no longer good enough nor acceptable.

Priya_R

Alumni (Retired)

• 

1.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hi JayK

We're so sorry that we are still working with Apple to introduce the eSIM feature. Please hang in there and stay tuned to our announcements. 

JayK

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

@Priya_R

For your attention and response.

JayK

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for the reply but you're not 'working with Apple', Apple is waiting on you - this is according to Apple support.

So I ask again, when?
Desmd_Tan

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

+1

YASSSS!!! Starhub about time you gave a straight answer.

Hang in there is not an answer!

Desmd_Tan

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

ROFLOL I just saw the Apple's rep comment "if you noticed, Singtel has not have such an issue and have been readily our partner in providing these"

Starhub you have a real problem when even Apple is lowkey suggesting we just go to SingTel. I see it's not just us customers who are frustrated of your non-anwsers.

Kentwk

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Being a Hubber is no longer a great incentive. Tv channels going going and gone. Broadband prices are dropping like flies and competitors pricing are Super attractive. Mobile subscription prices also have became a lot more competitive. 

I think it is now very very clear that we should all go back, do our homework and see what’s really worth our money and time. 

JayK

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @Priya_R (and @Amy_Law)

I hope you understand your reply is in no way acceptable nor sufficient more than one year on, as replies from me and other posters have indicated.

To be clear, we are still waiting for a clear timeline for eSIM implementation on Starhub's network.

Looking forward to a proper reply. Thanks.

Kentwk

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @Priya_R

Thank you for your PM. I refer to your message which I quote below for reference:

--------

You have received a private message in the StarHub Community.

Subject: Re: eSIM Support for iPhone XS & Apple Watch Series 3 / 4

Hi Kentwk

That's certainly no the way we want you to feel. Do let me know how I can assist you better.

-------------

Unfortunately, that IS the way StarHub is making all of us feel, that you guys are just avoiding the question and pushing us aside with a template answer to say you guys are working with Apple. Sure, continue to work with Apple to roll-out more products... But by when?

Why not you guys just come clean to say it's a business decision and it's not commercially viable to release eSIMs for iPhones and Apple Watch? Let us know and let us make the decisions.

Tell us, how StarHub intends to deal with the competition and work on the ageing Hubbing experience? Why not ask yourself that question, and let us know what you intend to do, instead of asking us how you guys can help? It may not be the intention to make us feel that way, but you know... that's exactly how many of us feel right now...

@Kentwk wrote:

Being a Hubber is no longer a great incentive. Tv channels going going and gone. Broadband prices are dropping like flies and competitors pricing are Super attractive. Mobile subscription prices also have became a lot more competitive. 

I think it is now very very clear that we should all go back, do our homework and see what’s really worth our money and time. 

-

JayK

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

@Priya_R@Amy_Law@Hanbali_N

3 working days since query first posted.

Still awaiting a satisfactory anwser in form of a concrete eSIM implementation timeline.

Will post followup every 3-5 days.

We are not letting this one go any more.

JayK

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

@Priya_R@Amy_Law@Hanbali_N

5 working days since query first posted.

Still awaiting a satisfactory anwser in form of a concrete eSIM implementation timeline.

Will post followup every 3-5 days.

We are not letting this one go any more.

- - - - 

Other unanswered posts:

E-sim (Sep 2018 @Fattkeong89)

https://community.starhub.com/t5/Postpaid/E-sim/m-p/162852

apple iphone xs max Esim (Sep 2018 @onesimuslee)

https://community.starhub.com/t5/Postpaid/apple-iphone-xs-max-Esim/m-p/162858

Apple Watch LTE (Aug 2018 @dhruv1)

https://community.starhub.com/t5/Others/Apple-Watch-LTE/m-p/161394

apple watch series 3 GPS and Cellular (Feb 2018 @bbgurl312)

https://community.starhub.com/t5/Others/apple-watch-series-3-GPS-and-Cellular/m-p/151765

e-sim (Dec 2016 @Mingness)

https://community.starhub.com/t5/Mobile/e-sim/m-p/137306

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Is this issue can we report to IDA?

Amy_Law

Alumni (Retired)

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hi Kentwk

We completely understand how you feel but we're unable to provide a definite timeline now as we're still in talks with Apple. Do stay tuned for updates. 

- Amy
JayK

Valued Contributor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

@Amy_Law ( @Priya_R@Hanbali_N )

As the very first post already indicated, Apple Support says the hold-up is with Starhub. So please stop using the response of "we are still working / in talks with Apple" as an excuse - Apple says they are waiting for you to be willing to invest and update your infrastructure to fully support eSIM.

If Starhub is indeed "in talks with Apple", what is it regarding?-

Apple products are already out in the market, the Apple Watch Series 3, Series 4, the iPhone XSes. The hardware specs, supported LTE bands are all baked in. eSIM activation APIs are already provided in iOS as well.

Apple's eSIM implementation standards have been made known to telcos before the Series 3 was even launched.

As Apple support let on, they do not have an exclusive reseller contract with SingTel for the cellular Apple Watch products that is preventing Starhub from selling and supporting them too.

What then? Bulk purchase prices? If your business managers and negotiators can't work that out with Apple since the Series 3 launch over a year ago, why do they still have their job?

Or, could it be that Starhub's infrastructure is simply not ready yet - that your technology managers have been dragging their feet, or don't have the support of business managers to invest and update your systems to support the full suite of eSIM services (e.g. eSIM activations, eSIM port-in, eSIM roaming, etc).

Or that your business development / strategy departments just haven't figured out how best to price eSIM / Multisim services?

Please be honest.

As your customers have told you more than a dozen times now, telling us to "hang in there" "stayed tuned" with no indicative timeline (i.e. Q4 2018?, 1H 2019? 2020?? 2021??? iPhone XV??? Apple Watch Series 10????) is UNACCEPTABLE.

Can we decide to stop paying our bills and request for early termination waivers (for your refusal to support new technology as other telcos have) and tell you to "hang in there" till we feel like paying?

Get Started

Get Started