Skip to main content
sh2sg

Trusted Commentator

• 

8 Messages

Sun, Jul 8, 2018 3:00 AM

New channels don't have subtitles?

Family elders called to ask why the new channel (Travelxp) does not have English/Chinese subtitles, they have hearing problem, must turn up TV, or rely on subtitles at night time to avoid annoying people. Now they said they are like watching silent movies... 

Is this just for Travelxp or all the replacement channels don't have subtitles?

Responses

Amy_Law

Alumni (Retired)

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hi sh2sg

Rest assured that all the new Channels will be supported with Chinese subtitles in time to come. The Channel Partners are currently working on this and will provide this to us once this is done.

- Amy
Buzzed

Honored Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

Will we be able to turn the subtitles off? Not everyone appreciates having subtitles obscuring the picture the rest would like to watch. 

lonewolfsg

Respected Advocate

• 

192 Messages

2 years ago

@Buzzed wrote:

Will we be able to turn the subtitles off? Not everyone appreciates having subtitles obscuring the picture the rest would like to watch. 

I agree. Most annoying of all when the subtitle over-lapped with the subtitles provided by the program (eg to translate a foreign language or to identify a person). Some program's subtitles do adjust to avoid this but not always.

Anyway, I will be surprised if the subtitles can be turned off. 

Is there even a channel on Starhub TV where you can do that? 

Josephine C

Genius

• 

861 Messages

2 years ago

Hi Buzzed,

you may refer to this thread here as it seems to be a similar issue. 

Thank You and hope that helps you to solve the issue you are currently facing Smiley Happy - Josephine

PS: Tv Guides can be found here. 

Buzzed

Honored Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

I have read the guides. Some channels have the subtitle embedded from your content providers. Starhub is pushing “fibre-interactive-hub-HD” etc but can’t get this issue sorted for years. Try watching BBCearth. It has some of the most breathtaking visuals imaginable and it’s been plastered with Chinese subtitles blocking the image. These cannot be turned off. History channel suffers the same issue.

Come on starhub. Get your content providers to encode the subtitles as metadata rather then burning it into the visuals. You’ll have a lot more happy customers who will finally get to enjoy the HD quality images that they are paying for.

Valued Commentator

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I am not a Chinese so naturally I don't (because I just can't even if I try) appreciate Chinese subtitles blocking my view. It's like having Tamil or Hindi characters flooding the bottom on every single program you love to watch, especially the ones with scenes you don't want blocked.

What I don't understand is why this still is not an interactive feature in 2018.

I have now successfully disconnected/unsubscribed from all channels that have these subtitles embedded. Thank you Starhub.

Valued Commentator

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Buzzed

Honored Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

@Josephine_C Did you see my reply?
Hanbali_N

Alumni (Retired)

• 

634 Messages

2 years ago

Hey Buzzed,

We are working with the content providers on this. Ultimately, we would want to provide our customers with the best. - Han

Get Started

Get Started