Skip to main content
hubbahubba

Respected Commentator

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Aug 21, 2018 8:00 AM

Gusto, Curiosity Stream, TravelXP - so called Discovery replacement channels

Travel xp has ads that are not in English. Alternatively at some points in the programme, there is a red screen that says the ads do not apply in this region and to wait until they are over.

Gusto and Curiosity Stream are both pixilated and unclear. Not able to watch them because the pictures are not even properly formed onscreen. All other channels are fine.

What's going on? 

If these are supposed to be replacements they should at least be watchable? This exercise has been very frustrating to paying customers and reflects badly on Starhub's planning for 'content refreshment'.

Any suggestions from Starhub CS?

Responses

lonewolfsg

Respected Advocate

• 

192 Messages

2 years ago

TravelXp is a rubbish channel. Complete waste of time.

Gusto is OK but not compelling compared to AFC and Food Channel shows.

Curiosity shows are superb. Quality and compelling shows that are IMO on par with BBC and exceed Discovery and NatGeo shows.

So far I have no issues with Gutso and Curiosity channels. So maybe if it continues, a STB switch may be required. 

Priya_R

Alumni (Retired)

• 

1.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hi hubbahubba

Let me get this sorted out for you. Do provide me with your full name, NRIC, contact number and email address via Private Message and we'll keep in touch.

hubbahubba

Respected Commentator

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Appreciate the reviews!
flai64

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Completely agree. All the replacement channels are terrible. Gusto must be a very cheap channel for Starhub to pay the rights to screen coz all the shows are so old!! Terribly disappointing!!! If these are not changed in the future you may just lose subscribers to your competitors.

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Some feedback on the programs shown on GUSTO.

Many of the programs are from 10 to 15 years ago !! There is no comparison to AFC ,etc. Haven't watched the other "substitutes" for DISCOVERY Channels, but likely it will be recycled stuff from a decade ago.

flai64

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Completely agree. To be it's obvious that Starhub is reducing cost at the expense of its subscribers. None of the replacement channels are interesting to me! 

lonewolfsg

Respected Advocate

• 

192 Messages

2 years ago

@Flintstone wrote:

Some feedback on the programs shown on GUSTO.

Many of the programs are from 10 to 15 years ago !! There is no comparison to AFC ,etc. Haven't watched the other "substitutes" for DISCOVERY Channels, but likely it will be recycled stuff from a decade ago.

I can't comment on gusto, makeful or TravelXP since I dun watch any of the shows.

But I can confirm that CuriosityStream shows are definitely not that old. After all, it was only launched 3 years ago in 2015. And most of their shows are original productions.

From wiki, Gusto was launched in 2013. So most of their shows are acquired if it's really 10 - 15 years ago. 

To be fair, even AFC shows old programs. I remember watching Iron Chef (the Japanese version) on AFC. And those shows are at least 20 years old. But they remain entertaining so it's not bad. 

hubbahubba

Respected Commentator

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....I haven't been able to watch either Gusto or Curiosity Stream cos totally pixilated...today the technician swopped the set top box to fibre. It was ok for the 10 minutes he was here...so I caught two glimpses of Gusto and CS...

Now when I am trying to watch them I am not even getting a signal for the box...

Wonder why I am still paying a subscription for no channels...and it was a really long stretch of time when Starhub tried and couldn't fix the cable signals for those two channels...

Speechless...frustrated...

Hanbali_N

Alumni (Retired)

• 

634 Messages

2 years ago

Hi hubbahubba, 

It could be that the connection between the cables is loose. Do check the LAN cable is securely connected to the network, or remove and re-insert, if necessary. Kindly power off the devices prior to the troubleshooting. - Han

Sngchris

Esteemed Commentator

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Having watched Travelxp for a while now, I am convinced that the programmes are so bad even Channel 5 wouldn't air them. 

lonewolfsg

Respected Advocate

• 

192 Messages

2 years ago

@Sngchris wrote:

Having watched Travelxp for a while now, I am convinced that the programmes are so bad even Channel 5 wouldn't air them. 

I commend you for having the patience of a monk and a sadistic streak for subjecting yourself to intellectual torture. 

Travelxp is a criminal waste of time, effort, energy and resources. I have seen many videos made by polytechnics students of higher quality. 

Amy_Law

Alumni (Retired)

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

We're still on the lookout for new content and channels. Please be patient with us as we ride out this period together.

- Amy
flai64

Senior Commentator

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Dear Amy

Program channels replacements are decisions that should not be taken likely. Much research (apart from fees charged by new channels) ought to have been done prior to making such major decisions. Perhaps a sample of subscribers should have been roped in to test their reactions to the new channels prior to making the official decision to switch. It may cost you to do such exercises but it could save the company/dept the trouble of "fire-fighting" like what you have to do now and should the channels be changed again that in itself is actually more costly? Your subscribers have been enjoying the previous channels/content for quite a few years, the dept in charge, should not make such changes so flippantly without any careful considerations.  

That's my 2 cents worth of management advice for your company. 

Amy_Law

Alumni (Retired)

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions, flai64. Rest assured they have been shared with our content team as well. 

- Amy
hubbahubba

Respected Commentator

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Well-said and I couldn't agree more!!

@flai64 wrote:

Dear Amy

Program channels replacements are decisions that should not be taken likely. Much research (apart from fees charged by new channels) ought to have been done prior to making such major decisions. Perhaps a sample of subscribers should have been roped in to test their reactions to the new channels prior to making the official decision to switch. It may cost you to do such exercises but it could save the company/dept the trouble of "fire-fighting" like what you have to do now and should the channels be changed again that in itself is actually more costly? Your subscribers have been enjoying the previous channels/content for quite a few years, the dept in charge, should not make such changes so flippantly without any careful considerations.  

That's my 2 cents worth of management advice for your company. 

Get Started

Get Started