Skip to main content
lonewolfsg

Respected Advocate

• 

192 Messages

Tue, May 29, 2018 8:00 PM

Discovery Network Channels - Going Soon?

https://www.facebook.com/StarHub/posts/10156544763987472

"Dear customers,

We are in renewal negotiations with Discovery Networks and are doing everything possible to arrive at a deal which would allow us to continue our partnership with Discovery.

You- our customers - are our top priority and so, we are working hard to ensure that you can enjoy an uninterrupted viewing experience. Concurrently, we are acquiring fresh content in the event that negotiations prove unsuccessful. If we are unable to agree on a renewal, the seven Discovery Networks channels will cease transmission on 30 June 2018. As factual entertainment fans ourselves, we will announce the launch of several new channels to ensure a continued good range of education and lifestyle channels for you. This will be carried out in the coming weeks, so stay tuned to our announcements.

To thank you for your continuous support, we would like to show our appreciation by offering all our customers a free preview of over 25 channels over five genres from 11 June to 15 July 2018. More details can be found at starhub.com/free-preview. We are working on adding more channels on free preview and hope to add to this list over the next few days.

As our negotiations with Discovery continue, we hope to share more details in due course. Once again, we thank you for your patience and understanding."

More info >> Discovery channels face axe from StarHub over payment row

Discovery Statement

“After June 30, StarHub subscribers will no longer be able to watch Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC, Discovery Science, Discovery Asia, Eurosport and Setanta on both StarHub TV and streaming service StarHub Go, should a resolution not be met. Discovery’s expanded lifestyle offering – with the recent addition of HGTV, Asian Food Channel, Food Network, and Travel Channel to our portfolio – will also no longer be available on StarHub platforms after August 31."

WOW! After the recent 'Fox Network Fiasco', history is repeating itself again. Starhub can delude themselves that the launch of the new channels will replace the channels lost but the fact is that Discovery network of channels has a lot of programs and shows not shown anywhere else.

Really? A disagreement over a 'cup of coffee'? Surely, Discovery must be thinking about a cup of coffee from Coffee Bean or Starbuck for the disagreement to brew for so long (pun intended!) Probably not a cheap cup of coffee.

And the free preview is a joke for those who already subscribed to the respective genre (like me). I think it will be a big loss if no resolution is met. Personally, I watched 7 of the 11 channels affected on a regular basis. 

Responses

jimbo

Respected Commentator

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

U all can always cut out other less popular channels like E!, Blue Ant. There are also so many less popular channels to consider in the Chinese and Indian packages.

U can always raise the education package subscription for new contract if there is no other choice.

But please don't take out discovery networks channels, otherwise it is better you close the whole education package.

The extra cost is only about a cup of coffee a month per customer according to discovery networks, is this so hard for you guys?

Wurlitzer

Trusted Advocate

• 

183 Messages

2 years ago

The news coming out of Discovery Networks is "STARHUB are not willing to pay a fair price for their 11 channels".

Starhubs claim is that looking after their customers is paramount.

So where is the communication from Starhub, to its customers, telling us of the implications of the Discovery Networks price increase? 

I would like to be consulted on what the price increase would mean to me, the customer?  It may be that we might be asked for another $5 a month, which for most might be a better solution than losing the channels.

Can Starhub let us know what the cost implication would be and then make a decision, not make a decision without talking to its loyal subscribers first. It's not really Starhub's decision to make, is it?

QUOTE from Nikkei Asian Review.

"Although StarHub assured its TV subscribers that it is still "in renewal negotiations" with Discovery and is doing "everything possible to arrive at a deal," the telecom has also informed customers that it would stop carrying 11 channels under Discovery. Seven are to end on June 30, and another four by Aug. 31.

StarHub's share price has suffered, hitting an almost nine-year low after the news was revealed. The stock closed 3.5% lower at 1.93 Singapore dollars on Thursday. 

Starhub has lost almost 20% of its customer base over the past nine quarters and S$40 million in video revenue," said Vivek Couto, executive director of research firm Media Partners Asia. He noted that the issue also "highlights the lack of unity between operators and content providers."

Wurlitzer

Trusted Advocate

• 

183 Messages

2 years ago

You're right Vanngoh, it would open up another issue and I would disagree with those who say SH should absorb the cost.  They are a commercial operation and are entitled to make a profit.

As you you realised, my point was SH customers should be given the choice and informed "that due to an increase by the provider the monthly sub needs to rise". At least we can then make the choice, pay it or drop the channels, at the moment SH are acting without consulting us, is it they actually don't care about us?

If it's put to subcribers and there is a big backlash, SH then have a weapon to use against Discovery, i.e. "we put it to our subscribers and 90% won't accept the increase so they will drop your channel." Or "Our subscribers have laregely accepted the price incease".  In the first case the ball is back in Discoveries court, they can insist on the increase and lose most subscribers (in which case SH would drop the channel totally) or Discovery can relent.

At the moment we hve two big players banging heads without bothering to find out what the subscrbers will acept, or won't.

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Well said, wurlitzer.

But if SH were to increase $5/mth, its customers will have other things to say eg why starhub cannot absorb? SH is a blood sucking telco etc etc.

So you cant please everybody in this case. 

But ceasing broadcast of Discovering network definetely doesnt go down well.

Me and my wife, for one, watch HGTV, FYI and Food Network ALL THE TIME.

But seems like SH is the one playing the hard ball here imo.

sh2sg

Trusted Commentator

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

Honestly I don't mind paying extra "a cup of coffee" for getting Discovery Channels, HGTV, Animal Planet...

lonewolfsg

Respected Advocate

• 

192 Messages

2 years ago

@sh2sg wrote:

Honestly I don't mind paying extra "a cup of coffee" for getting Discovery Channels, HGTV, Animal Planet...

Really? What if that extra 'cup of coffee' is from Starbuck and Coffee Bean as opposed to what we pay at the Coffeeshop?

Frankly, if you ask me to pay $5 extra every month for the channels that we are going to miss, I rather drop Discovery and its suite of channels.

Priya_R

Alumni (Retired)

• 

1.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hi lonewolfsg, can I check if you're still experiencing the issues with your broadband?

lonewolfsg

Respected Advocate

• 

192 Messages

2 years ago

@Priya_R wrote:

Hi lonewolfsg, can I check if you're still experiencing the issues with your broadband?

Yes. Still having issues. 

Amy_Law

Alumni (Retired)

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

Quick check - have you also tested the connection using a LAN cable to your laptop/PC to your ONT instead to see if the issues recur after a restart of your modem/ONT and router?

Please send me your full name, NRIC/FIN number, contact number and email via Private Message and I'll arrange for assistance.

- Amy
jimbo

Respected Commentator

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Not saying increasing subscription fee is the best way to go but I think most people who can afford cable TV will be able to afford the $5 increase per month. Or Starhub can also try to expand into other countries to increase their subscribers.

It is better than dropping off those channels and have those people who are already hooked Discovery Networks shows to get upset.

I am sure there will be many people unsubscribing Starhub if they really go ahead with this stupid idea.

tatatski

Trusted Commentator

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Hi,

the current options to replace channels are already mostly subscribed to today already. Also, some channels have no similar / exact replacements like HGTV, a 24 hour home buying, rental and  renovation channel .

As such , Starhub should allow those still under contract to have the option to terminate their existing contracts without penalty should the prescribed channel replacements by Starhub be unacceptable to the customer. This , to me, is fair game.

ALso , i have not received any such notification letter and all but less than 5 days is left .

Wurlitzer

Trusted Advocate

• 

183 Messages

2 years ago

@tatatski wrote:

Hi,

the current options to replace channels are already mostly subscribed to today already. Also, some channels have no similar / exact replacements like HGTV, a 24 hour home buying, rental and  renovation channel .

As such , Starhub should allow those still under contract to have the option to terminate their existing contracts without penalty should the prescribed channel replacements by Starhub be unacceptable to the customer. This , to me, is fair game.

ALso , i have not received any such notification letter and all but less than 5 days is left .

I agree with this view. Also, STARHUB should be giving their subscribers the choice, not making the decision for them.  I also haven't received any notification in the mail as promised by STARHUB.

Why aren't we being given the option to pay extra to keep these channels, it's almost a case of unjustified censorship. I'll certainly consider terminating at the end of my contract in two months, despite the hassle of doing this and having to switch my internet and mobile phones to a Singtel bundle.  Having said that I might be facing the same issue with Singtel when their contract with Discovery Networks comes up for renewal!

I have no issues with STARHUB otherwise and really enjoy all their servcies and reliability but this disrespect of their customers is probably enough to make me switch.

STARHUBS subscriber count has dropped 20% in the last 9 quarters, make that 20%+1 soon

Amy_Law

Alumni (Retired)

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hi Tatatski

I've replied to you on another post.

- Amy
Eronec

Honored Advisor

• 

201 Messages

2 years ago

Today 25th June 2018, 5 day to go and Discovery Channel will gone and I still not receive any info from StarHub too.

Eronec

Honored Advisor

• 

201 Messages

2 years ago

Actually no need those FAQ, I thought StarHub will re-group all their remainding channel and re-price them with new channel. I don't know why I didn't or don't want..

Looks like I underestimate StarHub.. 

Get Started

Get Started