Administrator

Administrator

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

19 Points

Wed, Apr 24, 2013 8:00 AM

BPL is coming back to StarHub!

I think some of you have heard about it from your friends or from the news Smiley Happy

We welcome the decision of the Media Development Authority, announced this evening,  to make the BPL subject to the cross-carriage measure. Singapore viewers are the biggest beneficiaries of this decision and we are excited to be able to bring the BPL to our customers on our reliable network once again.

Going by Singapore’s cross carriage regulation, StarHub will provide the platform to carry the BPL content but we will not be the ones charging our customers for it.  The operator that holds the broadcast rights (in this case our competitor) will determine how the content is packaged and priced, and will be billing our customers directly.

Feel free to discuss here Smiley Happy

MDA directs SingTel to share BPL content with StarHub under cross-carriage rule

By Irene Tham

The next three seasons of the highly-popular English Premier League (EPL) football matches - starting in August - will be available on both StarHub and SingTel pay-TV platforms for the first time.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Media Development Authority (MDA) ruled that SingTel must share the content with StarHub under its "cross-carriage" regime after looking into StarHub's complaints against SingTel.

The cross-carriage regulatory framework which kicked in on Aug 1, 2011, compels broadcasters to share exclusive content obtained after March 12, 2010. The rule sought to negate the need for consumers to switch to or add another pay-TV operator because it had secured a monopoly on content.

Last October, SingTel said it had secured a non-exclusive deal with the Football Association Premier League (FAPL). This means it does not need to share its content with StarHub, which is free to negotiate its own EPL deal. But when attempts to negotiate its own set of rights were repeatedly thwarted, StarHub kicked the matter up to the regulator, alleging foul play and that SingTel's deal was in effect an exclusive one.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/mda-directs-singtel-share-epl-content-starhub-under-cross-carriage-rul

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■
Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub :)

Download My StarHub App to check your usage, recontract eligibility, view bills, make payments, add/remove services and more!

For urgent matters regarding the safety of our members or the security of the platform, please email us at community@starhub.com 

Have a good idea? Tell us at our Ideas Exchange!

Responses

Accepted Solution

hubster

Esteemed Commentator

• 

6 Messages

8 y ago

Hello,

May I know for uefa champions league and fa cup, until which year does singtel have the rights to?

Does starhub plan to bid for these to encourage more subscribers to switch?

Thank you.
Ebichuman

Senior Advisor

• 

40 Messages

8 y ago

Yes! Finally!

Now all eyes will be on Singtel since they are the one who will ultimately decide on the pricing and package.
Heard that Singtel is appealing to MCI to overturn MDA's decision. How is this even beneficial to us Singapore football fans??!
chiefy

Respected Commentator

• 

47 Messages

8 y ago

yeaahh! should have a good home coming celebration! Smiley Happy
d_

Respected Advocate

• 

149 Messages

8 y ago

Due to the cross carriage rules , this means that we will be watching LIVE BPL Matches on Starhub TV from next Season onwards for the next three Seasons via mio stadium Channels ( CH 102 To CH 110 ) , which is currently the case on SingTel miotv .

May I suggest and request that Starhub TV consider to show LIVE BPL Matches via mio stadium on Football Channel 222 , SuperSports Arena CH 201 , Supersports Channel 202 & Supersports PLUS CH 203 ? Then as for other BPL 10pm Matches on Saturdays , show it on FC 1 , FC 2 etc ... The same arrangement just like the last time when Starhub TV used to be showing LIVE BPL Matches ? Instead of having to create another Brand New Channel just for BPL Matches alone ... By creating a Brand New Channel just for BPL Matches alone , it could be a waste as other than showing LIVE BPL Matches on Match Days , most of the time the Channel would be showing Re - Runs after Re - Runs of the week's BPL Matches until the next Match Day then got LIVE Match to show ...

Wonder if this could be done under the cross carriage laws ? If it is possible , then please do kindly consider my Suggestions ! Thank You !

Howard Toh

Administrator

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

19 Points

8 y ago

Hi d,

Our competitor is the rights owner so they get to decide how they want to package the content and how much to charge football fans in Singapore. In fact, you will be billed directly by them if you choose to subscribe. 

Hope to get your understanding and thanks for your interest! Smiley Happy

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub :)

Download My StarHub App to check your usage, recontract eligibility, view bills, make payments, add/remove services and more!

For urgent matters regarding the safety of our members or the security of the platform, please email us at community@starhub.com 

KaiBoon

StarHub Prepaid

• 

9K Messages

• 

5 Points

8 y ago

Hi StarHub Community

Are you excited about it?

========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Clrnc

Trusted Commentator

• 

7 Messages

8 y ago

Will starhub have the same amount of channels as mio now? 8 channels of BPL with 1 multi view.

And also UCL? If yes to both I will definitely come back starhub. Mio sucks 

Howard Toh

Administrator

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

19 Points

8 y ago

Hey Clmc, thanks for your interest!

At this time, we have yet to get firm details on the number and type of channels to be cross carried.  However, we know that the cross-carriage rules require SingTel’s pricing for the BPL channels to be the same, regardless of whether a customer views the same on SingTel’s platform or our platform. At this time, we are unable to confirm if UEFA Champions League will be included. We will provide more information in due course.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

8 y ago

Welcome back, waited for long time...

d_

Respected Advocate

• 

149 Messages

8 y ago

This thing about SingTel or Starhub bidding for BPL LIVE Broadcasting Rights is really not necessary at all ! I mean , way before either SingTel or Starhub TV went to bid for BPL LIVE Broadcasting Rights , didn't we , the fans also got to watch LIVE BPL Matches every weekends from ESPN & Star Sports LIVE Coverage ?

We can well go back to that time again . Both SingTel and Starhub TV stop and don't bid for the LIVE BPL LIVE Broadcasting Rights and just get the LIVE feed straight from ESPN & Star Sports ! Or make that FOX Sports & Star Sports ! That will put a stop to all these long running saga and nonsense once and for all !

And besides , who is able to watch five to six 10pm Matches LIVE on Saturdays being shown LIVE on different Channels at the same time ? Just two Channels FOX Sports & Star Sports will do , as long as we are still able to watch BPL Matches LIVE will do ! Both Singtel & Starhub TV do not need to bid at all !

Just like how we are currently enjoying and watching the Spanish La Liga LIVE Coverage from Star Sports now every weekends ! Just make the BPL LIVE Coverage the same way will do !  Thank You !

New Commentator

• 

1 Message

8 y ago

I dont think that's how it works... 

lonewolfsg

Respected Advocate

• 

192 Messages

8 y ago

I wonder how many of you will still be celebrating if you find that you need to pay $50-$75 just to watch BPL.

Personally I think the concept of 'buffet' programming for sports is outdated and Starhub should seriously considering offering a way to offer a 'ala carte' option instead.

eg. If all I'm interested is F1 and I'm not that interested in other sports, why can't I just choose to watch the F1 races and related shows for a flat fee per race? Or if I'm a tennis fan, why can't I just subscribe to the Racquet channel instead of all the sports channel?

Can Starhub comment on the above option?
lonewolfsg

Respected Advocate

• 

192 Messages

8 y ago

Singtel's application to MDA to hold back the cross-carriage of BPL has been rejected.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singnet-s-appeal-to-hold-back-steps-for-/700208.html?cid=FBSG

Narusegawa

Valued Advisor

• 

33 Messages

8 y ago

Wow! Thanks lonewolfsg

--------------------------------------

Cable television operator SingNet's application to hold back steps to cross-carry Barclays Premier League matches on rival StarHub's platform has been rejected.

This means SingNet now has to go ahead with preparations to make the matches available on StarHub's platform.

This is while the outcome of a larger appeal against cross-carriage directions set by authorities is pending.

The Media Development Authority (MDA) previously told SingNet to cross-carry football matches over three seasons on StarHub's platform.

SingNet took two steps: one, it appealed against the decision, and two, it applied against taking steps for cross-carriage to take effect while the first appeal was being decided on.

The second step was the one rejected by the Ministry of Communications and Information (MCI) on Thursday.

StarHub said it is heartened by MCI's decision.

StarHub said time is needed to prepare for cross-carriage, and a delay would make it operationally impossible for the BPL content to be cross-carried in time for kick-off on 17 August 2013.

- CNA/ir

d_

Respected Advocate

• 

149 Messages

8 y ago

From The Straits Times :

MCI rejects SingTel's application for stay on cross-carriage ruling

From TODAY :

Cross carrying work for next season’s BPL matches to continue

http://www.todayonline.com/sports/cross-carrying-work-next-seasons-bpl-matches-continue#inside

SingTel had applied for a delay in starting preparations for cross-carriage, while it appeals against the MDA ruling

Get Started

Get Started