Santosh Rai's profile
Alumni (Retired)

Alumni (Retired)

• 

1.2K Messages

Mon, May 16, 2016 2:00 AM

Post your errors here!

Dear all, 

Please use the below format to post your error during the trial period.

Router MAC ID: 

Nature of Issue: 

Error Screenshot: (Upload where applicable)

Thank you

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

Amirul

New Commentator

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

hi polar bear,

Sorry that you encounter frustrations. We will start to monitor your connection. PLs continue to try out and feedback.

fyi, sometimes, even the device shows full bar, the internet wifi connection (thoughput) can still be poor - this can be due to congestion of channels, multiple devices trying to access the wifi at the same time, etc etc

Can you try use StarHub WiFinder App (for anrdoid only) to check if channels are congested, in future if you encounter similar disconenction? The link to download the app is below (for android only).

Thanks again for your feedback and support, man.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.starhub.smarthome

Amirul

New Commentator

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

Thanks eric for your detailed feedback. very good assessment and initiative.

We will will check on the speedtest server.

Good to know you don't encounter issue with the smartzone feature. PLs keep testing and feedback.

eric3743

Grand Guru

• 

4.4K Messages

5 y ago

Router MAC ID:  Main  908D7864385C

Router MAC ID: Repeater  908D78643860 

My Fibre Broadband plan is 500Mbps.

1.  Nature of Issue:  

Both Router & Repeater have lost Wifi lost /no connection.

But wired to the Main router is good, no issue.

This happened while doing the test on video streaming Youtube.

I did switch off the repeater so as the Main router can auto connect.

Finally, switch off the main, video disconnected.

When switch on both router & repeater, the wireless on both not working.

Using LAN cable to connect to laptop, it work.

Did remove the 868L from the ONT, and connect 865L to check if wireless connection is good or not.

The 865L has no problem with wired & wireless.

Reset and redo the both routers, by following the DIR-868L Autozoning Trials Guide.

For the Main router, connect to IP Address 192.168.0.1 and setting was successful.

But the Repeater router IP Address  192.168.0.50  cannot be connected.

Even using the Main router, also cannot connect to 192.168.0.50

2.  Follow-up on previous about Speed Test.

Speed test (Starhub &or Ookla) cannot work for auto zoning.

Repeater connect to laptop to do speed test.

It can reach close to 500Mbs without any issue.

Also using Samsung Note Edge speed test can reach up to 400Mbps.

Result & Comment: Possibly my house have not much interference on wireless network.

Conclusion:

Outstanding issue is on IP Address  192.168.0.50 cannot connect for Repeater router.

Any suggestion.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Veteran

• 

300 Messages

5 y ago

@Amirul wrote:

Hi Ah Pin,

How far away is the DLink main router is from the Asus router? If they are close by, it is likely the signals will intefere with each other? We would encourage if for this trial period, if you can, to disable the Asus router and put the DLink as main router? I know this probably can cause some inconvenience to your family, but it would be great if we can remove variables that might affect the performance during testing. Its just a request, if you can accomodate, great. Otherwise, no issue. Thanks much for your great support and feedback.

The main 868 is not really that near my Asus, about 2m away.

I've had other routers which worked perfectly fine much closer to the Asus (practically next to it).  Including D-Link 890L, 885L.

Anyway, for the past few days, I've tried to reset the main 868 back to defaults and only enabled the autozone and changed the passwords, other settings all left at default, it still locks up my network after a while, could be few hrs later or sometimes 1 day.  The repeater 868 is powered off at this time, so it's only due to the main 868.

I powered off the original main 868 and put it aside.  Took the original repeater 868 and reset it to defaults and set it as the main router, and for the past 2 days, it's been running fine like this.  I'm beginning to suspect the original main 868 has some intermittent problem.  If you want to replace the 868, this is the one which I think should be replaced.

Also, I saw in the trial guide mention that 890L also works.  Do you support this configuration?  I do have an 890L around that I can flash to whatever firmware you need for the autozone main router.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Veteran

• 

300 Messages

5 y ago

@eric3743 wrote:

Conclusion:

Outstanding issue is on IP Address  192.168.0.50 cannot connect for Repeater router.

Any suggestion.

You can take a look at this post:

http://community.starhub.com/t5/MaxInfinity-Fibre-BroadBand/how-to-set-Dir-868L-Wireless-Repeater-Extender-mode/m-p/120617#M9589

Top Cat

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

Hi eric3743,

I will reply your questions below:

1.This happened while doing the test on video streaming Youtube.

I did switch off the repeater so as the Main router can auto connect.

Finally, switch off the main, video disconnected.

When switch on both router & repeater, the wireless on both not working.

Using LAN cable to connect to laptop, it work.

Did remove the 868L from the ONT, and connect 865L to check if wireless connection is good or not.

The 865L has no problem with wired & wireless.

D-Linker: Can check with you when the wifi issue occur if you plug your laptop to the repeater LAN port is there any internet connection??? And at the place that you place the repeater may i know the speedtest and signal strength to the main router when tested on your mobile device???

One more thing is on the repeater is it both the Power led and Internet led show green during the issue??

Conclusion:

Any suggestion.

D-Linker: When repeater created uplink with the main router the repeater IP Address will be appear inside the main router DHCP client list due to by default is set as DHCP. But if there is no uplink then the Statics IP Address of the repeater is 192.168.0.50.

Do let us know and Thanks for the testing bro.

Regards

D-Linker

Top Cat

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

Hi Ah Pin Kor,

We can help you swap the DIR-868L main router as the other secondary 868L is working fine on both repeater and router mode. We also can take this chance to look at your house scenario^^.

As for the DIR-890L, we can flash the AutoZoning firmware in during the house visit for you so you also can test it out^^.

Thanks for the help Bro.

Regards

D-Linker

eric3743

Grand Guru

• 

4.4K Messages

5 y ago

Hi  D-Linker

Based on your info in the post, this wireless issue is solved.

Switch on the Main Router until both green leds are steady. Went to the room to switch On the repeater.

The Repeater has power green light is steady. But the Repeater Internet green light keep flashing.

Went back to the Main light and use phone to connect wireless. Hence both Routers have no wireless connection. But both Router & Repeater do have internet wired. For repeater i had to remove the Main Router and put the Repeater next to ONT.  Connection on wired for both routers have connection.

As for speed test, you can refer to to thread. Refer to Your-Suggestion-Here-General-Discussion

Both Router & Repeater are shown as green leds. But wireless has no connection to both Router & Repeater.

After reading you post, did reset both Router & Repeater, before the changed.

As you mentioned, the IP Address 192.168.0.50  is in the Main router.

Reset and redo the the setup for both Router & Repeater.

For Repeater which is reset, i wired to do the setup us IP Address  192.168.0.1 on SSID & password.

The return the repeater to the room. For th main router, IP Address 192.168.0.1 to do setting.

When the main router both pwer & internet are green led, steady. Went to the room, connect the laptop to Repeater.   Open Chrome and key in IP Address  192.168.0.50 and do scan & connect the correct SSID.

This is where i did not do the  IP Adress to 192.168.0.50 hence the repeater fail.

Hence, the errors solved.

eric3743

Grand Guru

• 

4.4K Messages

5 y ago

Hi  D-Linker,

Final result:

My Broadband plan is  500Mbps.

Speed test using Ookla for phone.

Connection server: Starhub Mobile Pte Ltd

Download/Upload

Samsung Note Edge  

Main Router:  5GHz  = 344Mbps / 401Mbps

2.4GHz = 91Mbps / 80Mbps

Repeater router:   5GHz = 241Mbps / 257Mbps

2.4GHz = 57Mbps / 52Mbps

Samsung S6

Main Router:   5GHz = 333Mbps / 423 Mbps

2.4GHz = 86Mbps / 78Mbps

Repeater router:  5GHz = 223Mbps / 261Mbps

2.4GHz = 84GHz / 60Mbps

Starhub Speed test Local:  Noted Laptop wireless Max 300Mbps; and on 500Mbps plan.

Repeater router:

Wired = 471Mbps / 493Mbp

Wireless = 138Mbps / 136Mbps

Main Router: Wireless  =  210Mbps / 202Mbps

Auto Zone.  No issue.

D-Linker: Can check with you when the wifi issue occur if you plug your laptop to the repeater LAN port is there any internet connection??? And at the place that you place the repeater may i know the speedtest and signal strength to the main router when tested on your mobile device???

One more thing is on the repeater is it both the Power led and Internet led show green during the issue??

Answer:  

During wifi issue, there is no connection for both Main Router and Repeater as both power & internet leds steady green.

For the repeater and the main router, both wireless had no indication, lost

For wired (PC) connection to the Main router during the issue, the speedtest is good around 400Mbps.

D-Linker: When repeater created uplink with the main router the repeater IP Address will be appear inside the main router DHCP client list due to by default is set as DHCP. But if there is no uplink then the Statics IP Address of the repeater is 192.168.0.50.

Answer:

As reading your post and read the guide again (several times) and i did miss out 1 step.

I did not do the Maunal Wireless Connection Setup > Scan.

Hence, after scan is completed, everything is fine.

Comment:

Refer to "DIR-868L Autozoning Trials Guide", on point 5.2 indicated 2 IP Address.

When i did this step prior to my earlier post, there was an IP Address conflict, but forgot which IP Address was input.

Hence after reading your post and refer to the Guide, then i manage to understand what you meant.

These are the steps:

1.  Connect the ethernet cable from ONT to the Repeater and did a hard reset.

2.  Input the IP Address  192.168.0.1  and go the the Setup > Wireless Settings > Manual Wireless Connection setup.

3.  Change both SSID and passwords, then saved.

4.  Next at Setup > Internet > Manual connection Internet Setup: Select  Wireless Repeater Extender.

5.  It started the countdown from 90 to 0 ( i did wait for several seconds).

6.  Did a test on the wired connection and it works. Remove the repeater router.

7.  Connect the ethernet cable from ONT to the Main Router (after hard reset) and follow steps 2 to 3.

8.  Go to website to know it works.

9.  At the Repeater, turn on and connect the ethernet cable to laptop, power led green, internet led blinking.

10.  Go to Setup > Wireless Settings > Manual Wireless Connection Setup > Scan

11.  Select the correct SSID name and internet led is green, steady

Note:  Steps 10 & 11 was not done as i overlook on this steps in all previous setting.

Completed.

Sorry for the delay. (Ignore previous post)

I let the routers /repeater for a day period in order to ensure the connection is stable.

Thanks.

Eric.

eric3743

Grand Guru

• 

4.4K Messages

5 y ago

Hi  @Ah-Pin-Kor

Thanks.

As both your link and D-Linker post, then i can fully understand.

Now it is stable after leaving both router & repeater on.

Hubbernauts

• 

148 Messages

5 y ago

I placed my first router at the corner of my living room, where there is line of sight to the walkway leading to all my bedrooms. I have the second router at the corner of my master bedroom, the "darkest" spot in the room where I always have problem receiving my first router's WiFi signal. The 2nd router is plugged into a homeplug, which gets me 56Mbps download and 40Mbps upload when testing with wire. The first router, obviously, got the full bandwidth of 200Mbps which I subscribed to.

With the 2nd router, I am very pleased to be able to now receive usable WiFi signal in my master bathroom, which is the furthest point of my house. The 1st router would have to pass through 3 wooden doors to get to my throne.

My previous experience with using repeater was poor, and after experimenting, I bought a homeplug with built-in WiFi which is all-in-one and better than getting a separate router + homeplug. While I get a lot better coverage with the 2nd D-Link router for this trial, the router-switching issue remains. 

To explain further, it appears when when I move from one zone to the other, the auto-switching is trigger but not handed over seamlessly. In my previous setup, the device would continue to connect to the weaker router. In this trial, the device would disconnect completely and reconnect to the stronger router, but somehow upon connection, data fails to work, as if the process is not entirely complete. Sadly, I was unable to notice any issue, since there is the WiFi bar on my device. The other challenge is that since I named both SSID the same, there is no way for me to know which router is the problem.

In the best case scenario, the handover is successful, but there is a few seconds of black-out where the device would disconnect and reconnect. It seems to happen on all my Android devices - ASUS (Intel), HTC (Snapdragon). The Lenovo X230 laptop appears to be spared from this handover lag.

The worse situation is in my study room, I got equal signal strength from both routers, and it appears to have caused my wireless devices in the room (2 printers) to have problems communicating with the source printing app. Never had that problem before. Perhaps the devices were switching from one router to another halfway. Again because these devices do not have any diagnostic features for me to check which router they are connected to, there is no way to verify the problem. 

Before this trial, I might have problems with signal strength and being stuck to a weaker router, but at least it still works. With this trial, there is a risk that even though the device appears to be connected, data is not flowing at all. I have gotten a lot of late updates from Whatsapp/FB Messenger because of this issue at home.

Apologies for the extended post. Here are the answers requested from the trial guide:

Scenario 1: Starting from DIR-868L (Router) area walk towards to the DIR-868L (Repeater) area. Result: Intermittent PASS

Scenario 2: From The DIR-868L (Repeater) walk back towards to the DIR-868L (Router) area. Result: Intermittent PASS

SH BB Plan: MIF 200 Mbps

Wired Speedtest Living Room Router: 205 Mbps

Wired Speedtest Master Bedroom Router (Homeplug): 56 Mbps

Router 1 Speedtest (Living Room):

Wireless 2.4GHz: 64Mbps

Wireless 5GHz: 183Mbps

Router 2 Speedtest (Homeplug Master Bedroom):

Wireless 2.4GHz: 51Mbps

Wireless 5GHz: 56Mbps

Amirul

New Commentator

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

Thanks musicphoto for detailed feedback.

We noted that using the extender mode would have challenges. The ideal setup to enjoy seamless roaming is to either use a structured cable (LAN connection) from main router to the far end router. StarHUb also has Dual Broadband (cable and fibre) so this is another setup that can be optimised.

Your testing done using homeplug is of useful information. As long as the homeplug connection is stable, it will be like conecting via LAN - howver, we note also not all homes can be suitable to use homeplug. Glad it works for you,

Yes, if the client/device is placed somewhere in-between 2 DIR868 (where the signal strength can be equal from both sides), we note it may cause intermittent issues as what you described earlier. Setting up the routers, especially with router and repeater configuration may require adjustments even after deployment, for more optimal performance.  We will learn thru this. Thanks.

Get Started

Get Started