Santosh Rai's profile
Alumni (Retired)

Alumni (Retired)

• 

1.2K Messages

Mon, May 16, 2016 2:00 AM

Post your errors here!

Dear all, 

Please use the below format to post your error during the trial period.

Router MAC ID: 

Nature of Issue: 

Error Screenshot: (Upload where applicable)

Thank you

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

Ah-Pin-Kor

Veteran

• 

300 Messages

5 y ago

Router mac id: 908D78643864

Nature of issue:

My Samsung Note 4 (android 5.0.1) got disconnected from the wifi 3 times (twice on the repeater side and once on the main router side.  It happened twice when I was watching youtube and once using Starhub Go app.  I was just a few meters from either one of them so I was definitely within healthy range.

The actual autozone switching between the 2 APs is working fine.  This disconnection is not during the autozone switching. I was not moving about during the disconection.

I also tried with an iphone 5s (9.3.2) and connection seems ok (the autozone switching took more than 5 secs on the very first switch, but subsequent ones were fast, within 1 sec).

I don't have this disconnection problem with my own router/repeater (asus equipment with custom firmware).

Error screenshot: not applicable

Amirul

New Commentator

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Good to know iphone 5 works ok. However, let's investigate further if connection issue is due to note 4 or maybe compatibility.

Pls test again with the Note 4 - but before you retest, pls "power-off-then-on" the Note 4 and also both the Dlink routers. See if you can duplicate the problem first of unstable connection.

Off hand, there seems to be quite some postings on Note 4 having wireless issues, but let's try to see if we can duplicate the problem again after reboot.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Veteran

• 

300 Messages

5 y ago

This morning when I woke up, my Note 4 which was beside me was not connected to the wifi (the repeater was just outside the bedroom).

I checked with "wifi overview 360" app and found that the 5GHz SSID from the repeater was not broadcasting any more.  The 2.4GHz was still there.  The main router still had both bands on.  (I'm looking at the mac addresses of the SSIDs to tell them apart).

I had to power cycle the repeater 868 before the 5GHz SSID came back on.

This afternoon, I did some more testing with the iPhone 5s and saw it being disconnected (a few meters away from the repeater).  I moved the iphone near the repeater (within 1m) and then near the main router but the wifi didn't auto connect, even after a few minutes.  I placed the phone aside and later on found that it auto-connected back (not sure how much time elapsed exactly).

EDIT: used another iPhone, a 6s, also iOS 9.3.2, managed to duplicate this problem after moving around the house.

Also did some testing with a HP laptop, with Intel 7260 (N), driver version 18.32.0.5, win7 pro.

Autozone switching is OK for this laptop.

BTW, all my testing so far is with only the 5GHz band.

Amirul

New Commentator

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

Hi Ah Pin,

Good initiative to use app tool to check if 5Ghz no longer transmitting. What you reported seems to be the router problem. I had talked to DLink to contact you soon. Likely is he will arrange for a swap, so that he can have the unit to try duplicate and troubleshoot further.

In meanwhile, you can try contonue testing and feedback further.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Top Cat

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

Hi Ah-Pin-Kor

Can we do a swap on your DIR-868L repeater as we will need to bring back to our lab to replica the issue on the wireless 5GHz not broadcasting after awhile.

As you mention your DIR-868L act as main router had no issue on both the band so we suspected is the hardware issue.

When are you available so that we can visit your house and do a swap on it.

In the mean time you can carry on the AutoZoning testing and we can discuss more when we do the house visit.

Thanks

D-Linker

Polarbear

Hubbernauts

• 

153 Messages

• 

12 Points

5 y ago

Router MAC ID: 908D7864386C
Nature of Issue: Unable to reconnect to 5GHz wireless network

I was working on my laptop until I realized that both my laptop and phone unable to connect to wifi network. When I tried to reconnect to 5GHz network, it prompted me to key in my password but unable to log in. Same for both 2.4GHz network as well. Tried on both laptop and phone, same result, unable to login. On the router side, both icon are green. I did a reset of the router. Both the phone and laptop able to reconnect to the 5GHz wifi network without the need to key in password.
eric3743

Grand Guru

• 

4.4K Messages

5 y ago

Routers MAC ID: 908D78643860  Repeater.

Nature of Issue:  Repeater encountered Error message. Main Router is always on.

Switch On the Repeater until wireless icon is on. Then switch on the laptop.

Attempt to do a speed test to check. This error pop-up, see attachment.

**Refet to Comment**

Totally switch off both repeater and laptop.

Same procedure, switch on repeater until wireless icon is green and then switch on the laptop.

The wireless icon on the task bar is connect. Not sure on what really happened. Will monitor.

Comment

Usually my bedroom, the laptop could access to internet, router/ONT is in the sitting room.

In the above case, i can connect to the internet to the point on the Starhub speed test webpage.

The Error pop-up after i click on the "Begin Test".

Now, i switch OFF the repeater, it still allow access to internet.

Did a speed test, no issue, no error.

This could mean that the auto zoning in fine.

I am using the speed test as a mean to test which is router and which is repeater.

Router speed and repeater speed has a difference, as repeater speed is lower.

Repeater speed is good. 

Upon the first speed test using Samsung Note Edge, it was disconnected or rather a glitch . This happened on both router /repeater.  Thereafter no issue anymore.

Repeater is place next to the laptop inside the bedroom with a wall in-between, as router in sitting room.

While watching Youtube 'live streaming' "Twilight Zone" on the laptop, did a sudden switch off the repeater. No issue as the show is still showing without any issue.

Hence, no issue on the auto zoning.

eric3743

Grand Guru

• 

4.4K Messages

5 y ago

Added /Continue from above /previous post.

Router MAC ID:  Main  908D7864385C

Using on 5GHz.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Veteran

• 

300 Messages

5 y ago

@D-Linker wrote:

Hi Ah-Pin-Kor

Can we do a swap on your DIR-868L repeater as we will need to bring back to our lab to replica the issue on the wireless 5GHz not broadcasting after awhile.

As you mention your DIR-868L act as main router had no issue on both the band so we suspected is the hardware issue.

When are you available so that we can visit your house and do a swap on it.

In the mean time you can carry on the AutoZoning testing and we can discuss more when we do the house visit.

Thanks

D-Linker

Hi,

During the weekend, I've been seeing some weird stuff happening to my home network.  All internet access stopped even though I could still access the admin gui of my main asus router (the 868 main router is hanging off my asus main router (double-nat)).  This happened a few times. Each time I had to switch off the 868 main router and immediately, internet access is up again (my family members mostly still access thru my main asus router).

Yesterday, I manually set the channels for the 868 main router to some other channel further away from my own channel (149).  I don't know why the 868 channel auto scan will pick a channel which already has a very strong signal (stronger than -30dBm) out of so many unused available channels.  I left the 868s (both main and repeater) running overnight with this fixed channel config since last night and so far this morning, it was still ok.

If it is still stable tonight, I will continue with my autozoning testing.  If it acts up again, will let you know and you can decide if a hardware replacement is necessary.   Thanks.

Amirul

New Commentator

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

Hi Ah Pin,

How far away is the DLink main router is from the Asus router? If they are close by, it is likely the signals will intefere with each other? We would encourage if for this trial period, if you can, to disable the Asus router and put the DLink as main router? I know this probably can cause some inconvenience to your family, but it would be great if we can remove variables that might affect the performance during testing. Its just a request, if you can accomodate, great. Otherwise, no issue. Thanks much for your great support and feedback.

IncTEh

Hubbernauts

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

1 Point

5 y ago

Router MAC ID: 90:8d:78:64:36:38

I was using DIR-890L prior to this trial. I decided to swap it out and use 2 x 868L for the trial since 890L practically covers my entire house. There are some things that I notice on the 868L is that the connection drops very randomly while connected to either of the router. I have never experienced that on the 890L. Personally, I prefer 1 x 890L vs 2 x 868L.
Polarbear

Hubbernauts

• 

153 Messages

• 

12 Points

5 y ago

Router MAC ID: 908D7864386C
Nature of Issue: Random drop from 5GHz network

Since the installation, I have experienced random drop of internet but the wifi is still having full bar connection. I will need to go to the wifi setting to do a refresh and the internet will come back and this is quite fustrating.

Amirul

New Commentator

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, if 1 router can over the entire house, that would be ideal. The solution we are trying out are more for those whose house can't be covered with a single router. Ideally, the 2 dir868 are connected via ethernet cable (structured cable) but for purpose of trial this is not always possible.

Can I check if the 868 are connected to the main 868 via wifi, ie the 2nd 868 is set as repeater mode? Not when the dir868 are placed to close together, their signals will sort of affect each other. But if the far end 868 is too far away, then it can't even get strong signal to repeat, so this is a known limitation.

IncTEh

Hubbernauts

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

1 Point

5 y ago

Yes they are connected on via wifi on repeater mode. What I am saying is the overall coverage/throughput is far weaker on 2 x 868L as compared to 1 x 890L. However, 2 x 868L do eliminate a couple of deadspots that I experience with 1 x 868L. That said, it really depends on the house of the user, some places may see one powerful router to be ideal while others may see 2 x routers on autozoning be more favourable.

Like many others, I do experience random connection drops (on wifi only) even when the signal strength is rather strong. This happens with and without autozoning configured. It is something which I do not experience on the 890L.
Amirul

New Commentator

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

Thanks android expert. Yes I agree with you.

Get Started

Get Started